JOB TITLE: Manager, Site Work
DIVISION: Facilities Management
DEPARTMENT: Site Work
REPORTS TO: Director, Horticulture & Site Work
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time
SUMMARY: The Site Work Manager will provide oversight of the Site Work Department day-to-day operations responsible for the use of equipment and vehicles in the construction, maintenance and repair of various projects throughout the Saint Louis Zoo. As a key leader of Facilities Management, this position will support the Zoo’s mission and advocate the Zoo’s core values and three keys.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The following reflects Management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict additional assigned tasks. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position. COVID vaccinations are required for this position.
· Plan, coordinate and direct the daily activities of the Site Work Department.
· Oversee the operation of construction equipment and related attachments including but not limited to skid loader, mini-excavator, trencher, dump truck, articulating lift, telescoping lift, scissor lift, forklift, tractor, mower, plow, spreader, snow blower, jackhammer, plate compactor and power equipment.
· Manage tasks including but not limited to demolition, trenching, grading, excavation, rigging, concrete work, asphalt paving, installation of retaining walls or hardscapes and the installation and maintenance of landscape and irrigation systems.
· Establish and execute a preventative maintenance program including but not limited to the inspection and upkeep of hardscapes, habitat moats, fence lines and related infrastructure.
· Execute the Zoo’s Snow Removal Policy including but not limited to the de-icing and clearing of snow from walks, pathways and parking lots throughout the Zoo during inclement weather.
· Maintain a working knowledge of current industry best practices in equipment operation.
· Administer the Zoo’s human capital management software for time and attendance, payroll, benefits and workforce management.
· Manage the CMMS work order system for work scheduling, preventative maintenance programs and record keeping related to this department.
· Collaborate with all Facilities Management departments to assist with creative design solutions, construction and general maintenance needs.
· Operate and train staff on all related tools, equipment and machines.
· Utilize Zoo purchasing policies to procure goods and coordinate contractual services for the maintenance and repair of the Zoo.
· Ensure that proper safety guidelines and usage of PPE are followed at all times.
· Know and understand the Zoo employee handbook and adhere to all stated disciplinary actions and personnel policies.
· Work in close collaboration with all Zoo internal departments.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Supervise skilled trade personnel for the use of equipment and vehicles in the construction, maintenance and repair of the Saint Louis Zoo.
· High school diploma or equivalent required.
· Minimum five years of proven experience in equipment operation or commercial landscaping required.
· Landscape and hardscape background and knowledge required.
· General construction and irrigation background and knowledge preferred.
· Possession or the ability to obtain OSHA 10/30-Hour Training certification.
· Commitment to excellence and high standards.
· Good attendance record and work ethic.
· Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities and workflow with enthusiasm.
· Possession or the ability to obtain a Missouri Class E Driver’s License is required for residents of Missouri.
· All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check and drug test.
· Must be able to push, pull, bend, squat, stoop, and twist many times a day.
· Must be able to safely lift, carry and load 50 pounds.
· Physical capacity to endure exposure to inclement weather, dust, heavy machinery, restraint devices and hazardous chemicals. Use of proper PPE may be required.
This position will work in both a shop environment and outside. Significant exposure to weather is possible.