POSITION TITLE: SAFETY MANAGER
EEO CLASS: 002
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
DEPARTMENT: RISK AVOIDANCE
REPORTS TO: SAFETY DIRECTOR
DIRECT REPORTS: NONE
The Safety Manager will provide support to the Project Staff in an effort to enforce corporate safety and health policies and procedures. In addition to their project responsibilities, they shall participate in and complete all tasks designated to them.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist in development of the project safety program.
• Establish and conduct jobsite orientation for new project employees. Administer and record their participation in the orientation program and issue identification to those employees completing the orientation program.
• Attend all initial meetings with the project staff and subcontractor representatives to clearly define their role within the confines of the project safety program.
• Conduct and document pre-planning safety meetings with each subcontractor representatives to establish safety procedures prior to subcontractor’s activity on site.
• Establish and conduct regular (weekly) safety meetings with subcontractor representatives and with project staff to ensure proper compliance.
• Facilitate training for site personnel and ensure that standards are per the OSHA\Clayco and in compliance with Federal and State standards.
• Ensure and maintain a log of each subcontractor toolbox safety meeting.
• Review each subcontractors safety program and ensure that it meets or exceeds the project safety program requirements.
• Ensure that each subcontractor designates a safety representative that is properly trained in subcontractor’s scope of work and has the proper authority to correct safety issues.
• Conduct regular daily and weekly jobsite inspections and complete the safety checklist noting safety violations and corrective actions.
• Record, notify and prepare written report of any violations or unsafe practices to subcontractors for immediate correction actions.
• Stop at once any violation or unsafe acts or practices.
• Assist the Project Superintendent in establishing and implementing proper fire prevention, evacuation and fire control procedures.
• Investigate all incidents and generate proper reports.
• Establish and maintain all required safety records.
• Conduct a monthly overview safety meeting and attend project staff meetings to brief on safety issues.
• Perform other duties as necessary.
• Strong management, leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
• B.S. in Safety and Health or equivalent
• At least two (2) years of safety experience or combination of education/multiple years experience in building construction, with a working knowledge of safety/environment principles and techniques.
• Computer skills with familiarity with Microsoft Office.
• Performance of the required duties will require physcial ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Requires use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk and hear, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
• Regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions and risk to electrical shock.
• Noise level is usually moderate to very loud.